Mike was born in Kendallville, Indiana and was educated in their public schools. He graduated from Kendallville High School in 1961.
- B.A. Humanities, (with teaching certification in Social Studies and Physical Education) 1965
Teacher's College in Columbia University
- M.A. Childhood Education, 1972
- M.Ed. International Education, 1973
- Ed.D. International Educational Development, 1974
- Dissertation: The Application of Three Interaction Analysis Systems to Investigate Models of Teaching
Mike holds Elementary and Secondary Teaching Credentials in Indiana, New York and California